Department of Spanish and Portuguese
PhD Program - Bilingualism and Second Language Acquisition
Crystal Marull joined the department in the Fall of 2011 as a Graduate Fellow
Major fields: Psycholinguistics: Bilingualism and Second Language Acquisition
Specialization: Language processing of morphology and syntax, cognitive individual
differences, second language instruction.
Techniques: Behavioral: eye-tracking, self-paced reading. Electrophysiological: fMRI,
- Ph.D. Spanish, specialization in Bilingualism and Second Language Acqusition
Expected May 2016, Rutgers University
Dissertation: “Processing (In)efficiency in the Second Language: Experience and
Cognitive Effects on Morphosyntactic Predictions
Chair: Dr. Jennifer Austin
- M.A. in Spanish, specialization in Bilingualism and Second Language Acquisition
2013, Rutgers University
Qualifying Paper: " Language-specific Syntax Constrains Cross-linguistic Activation"
Chair: Dr. Nuria Sagarra
- M.ed. in Spanish (K-12)
August 2011, Holy Family University
- B.S. in Communication
January 2001, Boston University, Magna Cum Laude
- Marull, C. (2015). Syntactic position constrains cross-linguistic activation,Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism, 5(2), 153 - 179.
CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS AND INVITED TALKS
- Marull, C. (2015) “Language-Specific Syntax and Cross-Linguistic Activation.”Course: Second Language Acquisition by Prof. Sonia Suarez Cépeda (Guest Lecturer), Departamento de Lenguas Extranjeras – Universidad Nacional de La Pampa, Argentina
- Marull, C., Sagarra, N., Bel, A. (2015). “Linguistic complexity and L1 transfer affect L2 processing of relative clauses”Tenth International Symposium on Bilingualism (ISB). Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ.
- Marull, C., Sagarra, N., Bel, A. (2014). “Language experience effects on L2 processing of relative clauses.”The Hispanic Linguistics Symposium. Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN.
- Marull, C. (2014). “Language-Specific Syntax and Inhibition Modulate Cross-Linguistic Activation.”Georgetown University Round Table on Languages and Linguistics (GURT).Georgetown University, Washington, D.C.
- Marull, C. (2013). “Syntax as a Language Cue.”The Hispanic Linguistics Symposium. University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada.
- Sagarra, N. & Marull, C. (2013). “Transfer, Proficiency, and Working Memory Effects in Processing S-V Agreement in L2 Spanish.”The Hispanic Linguistics Symposium. University of Ottawa,Ottawa, Canada.
- Marull, C. (2013). “The Role of Syntax in Cross-linguistic Activation”42nd Annual Meeting of the Linguistic Association of the Southwest (LASSO). The College of New Jersey (TCNJ), New Brunswick, New Jersey.
- Marull, C. (2013). “Language-Specific Syntax Constrains Cross-Linguistic Activation.”43rd Linguistic Symposium on Romance Languages (LSRL).The Graduate Center, CUNY.
- Marull, C. (2013). “Aphasias in Multilingual Populations.” Span 363: Bilingualism in the Spanish-speaking World (Guest Lecturer), Rutgers University.
WORKS IN PROGRESS
- 2014- Present: “Language Experience Effects on Morpho-Syntactic Predictions in Second Language Processing,” Co-Investigator– Rutgers University New Brunswick, NJ, P.I. Jennifer Austin
- 2013 – Present: “Cognitive Constraints on Morphological and Syntactic Transfer,” Co-Investigator – Rutgers University New Brunswick, NJ, P.I. Nuria Sagarra, Co-P.I. Aurora Bel
- 2012 – Present: “The effects of literacy on language attrition – a neuroimaging and behavioral study,” Co-Investigator – Rutgers University Newark, NJ, P.I. Jennifer Austin, Co-P.I. Olga Boukrina
ACADEMIC ADMINISTRATIVE APPOINTMENTS
- Director of Rutgers’ summer program “Language Learning and Community Engagement in Argentina” (July 2014 – present)
- Assistant Director, Rutgers in Salamanca (July-August 2013)
- Online Curriculum Development and Template Design, Rutgers University (Spring/Summer 2012)
- Supervisor of Student Teachers, Rider University, NJ (Spring 2012)
- Coordinator of Student Activities, Suffolk University Madrid Campus, Spain (2002-2005)
- Housing Director and Program Assistant, EUSA: European Study Abroad Educational Programs And Internships, Spain (Spring & Summer 2004)
- Administrative Assistant to the Director, Boston University in Madrid, Spain (Fall 2001, Spring & Summer 2002)
- Administrative Assistant to the Coordinator of Boston University’s Program in Spain, MA (Fall 1999 & Spring 2000)
ACADEMIC TEACHING APPOINTMENTS
- Teaching Assistant, Rutgers University Department of Spanish & Portuguese, (Fall 2012 to Present)
- Adjunct Spanish Instructor, Rider University, NJ (Spring 2010 & 2012)
- Middle School Spanish Teacher and Curriculum Developer, Maritime Academy Charter School, PA (2010-2011)
- Adjunct Spanish Instructor, Bucks County Community College, PA (Summer 2010)
- Adjunct Spanish Instructor, Mercer County Community College, NJ (Spring & Summer 2009, Summer 2010)
- English Instructor (K-6), Colegio Santo Tomas, Santa Rosa (La Pampa), Argentina (Fall 2009)
- Spanish Instructor for the Continuing Education Program, Bucks County Community College, PA (Spring 2009).
- Spanish Teacher (Pre-K to 6), The Children’s House of Bucks County, PA (2008-2009)
- Substitute Spanish Teacher (High School and Middle School), Neshaminy School District, PA (Spring 2001)
- Instructor of English as a Second Language, Academic Study Associates, Spain (Summer 2000)
UNIVERSITY COURSES TAUGHT
- Span 131: Intermediate Spanish 1
- Span 121: Spanish Review and Continuation
- Span 132: Intermediate Spanish 2
- Span 101: Elementary Spanish Online (2 sections)
- Span 313: Advanced Spanish Conversation and Culture (2 sections)
- Span 363: Bilingualism in the Spanish-Speaking World
- Spa 100: Spanish for Beginners I, Spring 2010 & 2012
Bucks County Community College
- Spa 101: Spanish for Beginners I, Summer session I & II, 2010
- Spa 102: Spanish for Beginners II, Summer session II, 2010
Mercer County Community College
- Spa 102: Beginning Spanish II, Spring & Summer 2009, Summer 2010
I enjoy spending time with my family, travel, and try new cuisines. I also like to play recreational soccer on occasion.