Department of Spanish and Portuguese
Ph.D. Program - Spanish Literature
- Ph.D. Spanish Literature student, 2009-present
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey – New Brunswick.
Dissertation: La crónica: Una mirada más allá de la economía anunciada
Committee: Marcy Schwartz (Director), Asela Laguna and Jorge Marcone
- M.A. in Spanish Literature
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey – New Brunswick, 2011
- Ingeniero en Información (Information Science Engineer)
Universidad Tecnológica del Centro-UNITEC. Venezuela, 1991
Thesis: Modelo dinámico de planificación de requerimientos en la producción de harinas precocidas de maíz.
- Técnico Superior en Informática
Universidad Tecnológica del Centro-UNITEC. Venezuela, 1989
Thesis: Evaluación de pérdidas de cereales durante su manejo a partir de la cosecha.
20th and 21st century Latin American literature and culture, emphasis on the relations between literature and economy; literary journalism, especially Latin American chronicles; and literature in the digital age.
2009 - present Teaching Assistant. Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey – New Brunswick
- Spanish Conversation and Comprehension: SP 203 – Spring 2013
- Culture and Composition: SP 204 – Summer 2012
- Spanish Review and Continuation (Intensive): SP 121 – Spring 2012
- Intermediate Spanish I: SP 131 – Fall 2010, Fall 2012
- Elementary Spanish 2: SP 102 – Summer 2010, Spring 2011
- Spanish for Native Speakers 2: SP 201 – Spring 2010
- Spanish for Native Speakers 1: SP 139 – Fall 2009, Fall 2011
2002 - 2005 Assistant Teacher. International School of Louisiana (ISL), New Orleans, LA
ISL is Louisiana’s first language immersion charter school. From their first day of school, students were taught core academic subjects in Spanish. I taught Spanish at a Kindergarten level and assisted to the teacher in daily activities and projects.
1992 - 1994 Lecturer. Universidad Tecnológica del Centro-UNITEC, Venezuela.
Taught at undergraduate level: Data Processing, Programming and Analysis of Systems.
1992 Lecturer. Instituto Universitario de Tecnología Antonio José de Sucre, Venezuela.
Taught at undergraduate level: Data Processing, Programming and Analysis of Systems
- Center for Latin American Studies (CLAS) Small Grant Fund for research on Latin America conducted by Rutgers faculty and students, May 2013.
- Teaching Assistant. Department of Spanish and Portuguese, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey – New Brunswick. Sept 2009 - present
- “Mene: petróleo, raza y violencia”. Latin American & Caribbean Studies Center. 12th Annual Graduate Conference, Stony Brook University. April 2013.
- “Boca hay una sola: Tres etapas de la historia económica venezolana en las crónicas gastronómicas”. XIX Conferencia “La Jornada”, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey – New Brunswick, Oct. 2011.
Workshops and others courses attended
- “Departmental Certificate in Teaching Literature in the Undergraduate Classroom”. Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey – New Brunswick. 2013.
- “What's the Difference Between the Humanities and the Digital Humanities? An Introduction to Life after the Paradigm Shift”. Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey – New Brunswick. 2012.
- “Workshop on applying for external funding”. Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey – New Brunswick. 2012.
- “Creating a Sakai site”. Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey – New Brunswick. 2009.
- “The Sims 2/Second Life”. Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey – New Brunswick 2009.
- Literature Courses taken between 2008 – 2009 as non-matriculated student at Rutgers University – Newark, NJ: Spanish Golden Age, Contemporary Latin American Novel, and Civilization Ibero-american.
- “Inducción docente para instructores de empresas”. 80-hour training. INCE, Venezuela. 1997.
- “Comunicación efectiva”. 16-hour training. Alfonso Rivas & Co., Venezuela, 1997.
- “Elaboración de normas y procedimientos”. 24-hour training. Alfonso Rivas & Co., Venezuela, 1997.
- “Auditorías Internas de Calidad”. 24-hour training. Alfonso Rivas & Co., Venezuela, 1997.
- “Training Workshop for ISO 9000 Leader Auditors” (approved for accreditation as International Leader Auditor). Bureau Veritas Quality International. Caracas, Venezuela. November, 1996.
- “Desarrollo y formación docente”, 40-hour training. Instituto Universitario Antonio José de Sucre. Venezuela. 1992.
- Organized (with GIELA group) special lecture: “Politics, Art, and Memory in the Southern Cone”, sesions: “Economía y Literatura” and “Desde territorio Mapuche-Lafkenche: entre el activismo onomatopéyico y el colonialismo acústico” by Dr. Luis Cárcamo-Huechante. Feb. 2013.
- Literary conference organizing committee member for the XVIII Annual Graduate Student Conference La Jornada: “Beyond Diaspora”. Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey – New Brunswick. Oct. 2010.
Professional Experience as Ingeniero en Información (Information Science Engineer)
1998 - 2005 Independent Consulter
- Wrote and review procedures and norms manuals for institutions.
- Designed a new departmental unit for the Information Technology Structure Division at Electricidad de Caracas, Co.
- ISO 9001 consultant on the documentation requirements for the standard ISO 9001 in order to get this certification.
1995 - 1998 Quality System Coordinator. Alfonso Rivas & Cía. – Turmero, Venezuela.
- Coordinated and managed ISO-9000 implementation process in order to get the certification.
- Planned and coordinated all workshops for personnel training of 19 departments.
- Planned and executed internal quality auditing.
- Assigned task, reviewed, and managed the development of ISO-9000 documents for 19 departments in all organization levels.
- Wrote the Quality System Manual
- Reviewed the Quality System Operational Procedures Manuals
- Taught the ISO-9000 family standards.
1994 - 1995 ISO-9000 Analyst. Alimentos Heinz – Guacara, Venezuela.
- Planned and coordinated ISO-9000 workshops for personnel
- Developed, reviewed and coordinated the implementation of ISO-9000 documentation requirements
1992 - 1994 Systems Consulter. Dezerega & Asociados. Caracas, Venezuela.
- Assigned as a head of system and organization department on a client company.
- Coordinated courses and executive workshops offered by the firm.
1990 - 1991 Internship: developed and applied the software proposed in my thesis to the firm REMAVENCA (a company of Polar Corporation Group), Venezuela.
- Modern Language Association
- Latin American Studies Association