Declare a Portuguese Major
All credits are required unless students:
- Successfully completed an advanced placement test and are granted credit by the department. Note: You will not receive any credit towards the major for any course taken below your placement.
- Received special permission for an exception from a departmental advisor. Students are responsible for consulting the catalog course listing for a description of pre-requisites and special conditions prior to registration of classes. Major programs must be reviewed and approved by a departmental advisor.
Requirements for Majoring in Portuguese
- The satisfaction of all the core-course requirements, either by placement into a higher course initially or by completing the course.
- The satisfactory completion of an oral exam in Portuguese in the final year.
- A total of 36 credits in Portuguese courses, or approved courses from other departments.
- 100 Level
- 810:130- Intermediate Portuguese
- 810:135- Portuguese for Speakers of Spanish
- 200 Level
- 810:201 - Portuguese for Native Speakers
- 810:203 - Portuguese Conversation & Composition
- 300 Level
- 810:309 - Africa and Portugal: An Introduction
- 810:310 - Brazil: An Introduction
- 810:325 - Advanced Grammar and Style
- 810:326 - Advanced Composition
- The completion of at least one 400-level course
- Electives: Any 810 course at the 200-level or higher.
- 100 Level
Click Portuguese Major for a worksheet to track your progress.