- Bate Papo: Fala Portuguese? Practice your Portuguese every Wednesday from 4:00-5:00 pm at Hickman Hall, Rm. 117. All levels are welcome!
OCTOBER 2017 - Hispanic Heritage Month
- Congratulations to Michele Goldin for being a recipient of an Executive Women of New Jersey (EWNJ) Graduate Award.
- BLOCK PARTY: #HopeAfterMaria on Wednesday, October 4, 7-11:00 pm. Click HERE for details.
- RUTGERS SPANISH CLUB! Come join RSC every Tuesday night at 9:00 pm at Murray Hall, Rm 208 for conversation practice, fun games and activties. All levels are welcome!
- Concert: Gracias a La Vida: A Celebration of the Life & Music of Violeta Parra on Wednesday, October 4th at 6:30 pm at LSC. Click HERE for more information.
- Film Festival: Jueves de Cine presents Sin Muertos No Hay Carnaval/Such is Life in the Tropics on October 12th at 8:00 pm at the RU Cinema on Livingston Campus. Click HERE for more details.
POSTPONED!! - Study Abroad Financial Aid and Scholarship Information SessionNew date will be posted soon.
- HURRICANE RELIEF OPEN DATA EDITATHON on Friday Sept. 29th. Click HERE to participate.
- Congratulations to Laura Hydak for winning the 2017 Adolfo Snaidas Prize.
- Film: Jueves de Cine presents Hermia and Helena on Thursday, September 14th from 8-10:00 pm at the Rutgers Cinema on Livingston Campus.
- STUDY ABROAD FAIR will be held on September 19th from 3-6:00 pm at the CAC Student Center.
- First day of classes - Tuesday, September 5th.
- Undergraduate Advising Days will begin Tuesday, Sept. 5th. Please click HERE to see the schedule.
- Last Day to DROP is September 12th.
- Last Day to ADD is September 13th.
- Congratulations to Aaron Lacayo who was awarded a prize for the best conference paper at the University of Maryland Colloquium on Ecocriticism and Environmental humanities.
- Congratulations to Sandra Medina who is now the new graduate assistant to the Center for Latin American Studies.
- "Savoring the Spanish of My Youth- as the Language Marches On" - to read the article, click HERE.
- Undergraduate Advising Days will begin Tuesday, Sept. 5th. Please click HERE to see the schedule.
- Congratulations to Michele Goldin for receiving the prestigious Executive Women of New Jersey Graduate Merit Award!
- Congratulations to Christina Gauss! She received the AATSP Teacher of the Year award for the secondary 9-12 convention.
- Be part of the RUTGERS SPANISH CLUB! All students are welcome!
Come and enjoy various cultural events, conversation exhange programs, and community service opportunities.
Click HERE for more information.
- Summer Session III: July 10th-August 16th
- A LETTER TO THE MILLENNIAL PhD by Ben Kinsella- click to HERE to read the article.
- NEW FALL COURSES! ONLINE & HYBRID. Register now for the Fall 2017 semester.
SPA940:110 - Introduction to Cultural Heritage Studies
SPA940:206 - Spanish for Business I
SPA940:225 - Spanish for Health Professionals II
CONGRATULATIONS to our 2017 Graduates!
For more pictures, go to our Events Calendar page under SpanPort Senior Celebration or click HERE.
- Congratulations to Anne Lingwall-Odio who has accepted a position at Miami University of Ohio, in Oxford, Ohio.
- Congratulations to Crystal Marull who has accepted a position at as lecturer and coordinator of the Online Language Program at The University of Florida, Gainesville.
- Congratulations to Dr. Otero-Torres for her dedication and inspiration towards students. Her Spring 2017 seminar about Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor has gained campus recognition from students and faculty. Click HERE to read the article.
- Classes end May 1, 2017.
- SpanPort Senior Celebration will be held on Tuesday, May 2nd.
- Spring Exams: May 4th-10th. Students, Good Luck on your Finals! ¡Buena Suerte! Boa Sorte!
- Rutgers University Commencement will be held on Sunday, May 14th.
- Summer Session begins on Tuesday, May 30th.
- CONGRATULATIONS MIGUEL JIMENZ for publication of his new book Crowdsourcing and Online Collaborative Translations.
To read an exert of his first chapter, please click HERE.
- CONGRATULATIONS LILIANA SANCHEZ for being awarded the 2017 Clement A. Price Human Dignity Award from the Committee
to Advance our Common Purposes. This award is in recognition of Liliana's efforts in advancing the study of Spanish-English and
Spanish-Quechua bilingualism, language learning, and pedagogy; for championing Heritage Language Rights as a vehicle for inclusivity, and
for her advocacy for world languages as critical to social cohesion and defending human rights.
- LAURA HYDAK travels to Spain to meet and interview Luis León Barreto author of Carnaval de indianos. Click here to read the article.
- SIGMA DELTA PI initiation ceremony will be held on Friday, April 21st. Congratulations to all recipients!
- Summer Study Abroad Fair will be held on Wednesday, February 1st from 5:00-8:00 pm at the LSC.
- Sigma Delta Pi, Spanish National Honor Society application deadline for Spring 2017 is Friday, February 17th.
- Phi Lambda Beta, Portuguese National Honor Society application deadline for Spring 2017 is Friday, February 17th.
- CONGRATULATIONS Claudia Cabello-Hutt. Former student in Ph.D. in Literature program, Claudia was awarded tenure and promotion at Univ. of North Carolina-Greensboro.
She is also graduate director for their MA program in Spanish.
- Spring 2017 semester begins Tuesday, January 17th
- Advising Schedule for undergraduate students is posted under Advising & Office Hours
- Last day to DROP: January 24th
- Last day to ADD: January 25th
- Winter break begins: December 24, 2016
- SOLO EN ESPANOL!
Spanish Language Immersion Series.
An opportunity to practice your Spanish and meet other Spanish speaking students. Meetings are held on Thursdays (November 3, 10, & 17) from
7:30-8:30 pm at the Center for Latino Arts and Culture.
- STUDENT AID AND STUDY ABROAD INFO SESSION- Join us on Friday, October 21 at 1pm at the Academic Building, Rm. 5190 for a general information session about the Summer Abroad in Spain and Peru. A Financial Aid representative will talk about application deadlines, requirements and materials. Information about scholarships will also be discussed.
- Spring 2017 Registration- Advising Days begins Monday, October 31.
Click HERE to see the schedule.
- IMPORTANT DATES:
- REGISTRATION FOR SPRING 2017
Sunday, October 30
- STUDY ABROAD APPLICATION
Spain & Peru
Applications posted on webpage on Wednesday,
November 1 at noon.
- REGISTRATION FOR SPRING 2017
- SPANPORT has Moved to College Ave!
15 Seminary Place, 5 Flr.
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
JUNE & JULY 2016
- CONGRATULATIONS TO NADIA CELIS, who has been awarded an Honorable Mention in LASA’s 2016 Premio Iberoamericano Book Award, and the 2016 Premio Montserrat Ordóñez for the LASA Colombia Section for her book La rebelión de las niñas: El Caribe y la “conciencia corporal” (The Rebellion of Girls: The Caribbean and “Corporeal Consciousness”).
- CONGRATULATIONS SPANISH & PORTUGUESE GRADUATES! Felicitaciones!
- SUMMER SESSION 2016 begins on Tuesday, May 31.
- CONGRATULATIONS TO BENJAMIN ARENGER for succesfully defending his dissertation on "Refiguring Universalisms: The Case of Three Postmodern Spanish Novels".
- CONGRATULATIONS TO AARON LACAYO for his published translation of the Salvadorean novela "They Have Fired Her Again".
- ATA CHRONICLES INTERVIEWS PROF. MIGUEL JIMENEZ for their section of "Our World of Words: Spotlight on T&I Professionals". Click here to read the article.
- CELEBRATING SPANISH & PORTUGUESE MAJORS on Friday, April 29 at 9:00 am at Trayes Hall, DSC.
- RUTGERS DAY! Visit the Spanish & Portuguese and RU Bilingual table at the World of Languages tent on April 30 at the College Ave. Campus. Click here for more information.
- FALL 2016 REGISTRATION ADVISING HOURS beginning on Monday, April 4. Click here to view schedule.
- OFFICE HOURS CANCELLED- Prof. Otero-Torres has cancelled office hours for Monday, April 18.
- Join us for a talk on "Interpreting and Translation at the United Nations" on Monday, April 11 at 6:30pm. Click here for more information about the conference.
- CONGRATULATIONS TO SILVIA PEREZ CORTES for the defense of her dissertation entitled "Mood Selection in Obligatory and Variable Contexts: Spanish HS and L2 Learners' Acquisition of Desideratives and Reported Speech Contexts."
- CONGRATULATIONS TO JOSEPH AGBENYEGAH for the defense of his dissertation entitled "The acquisition of l2 pronominal reference by Ewe speakers of l2 Spanish".
- THE CHILEAN ARPILLERAS: A History of Resistance Written on Cloth by Dr. Marjorie Agosín on Wednesday, April 6. For more information, click here.
- LAST DAY TO APPLY for SUMMER IN SPAIN 2016: CLOSED: Deadline, March 29.
- NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIOMS FOR SUMMER IN PERU 2016: CLOSED. Deadline March 25.
- SPANISH and PORTUGUESE HONOR SOCIETIES- Now accepting applications for Spring 2016 semester. Click here for more information.
- CONVERSATION TREE- Are you interested in languages and intercultural exchange? Join The Conversation Tree and serve as a Conversation Facilitator in the Spring 2016 semester. Click here for more information.
- ¡BUENA SUERTE con los EXAMENES FINALES!
- SUMMER IN SPAIN 2016 INFORMATION SESSION on Friday, December 11 at 12:00 pm at the Douglass Student Center, Meeting Room A. Click here for more details.
- SUMMER IN PERU 2016 INFORMATION SESSION on Friday, December 11 at 11:00 am at the Dept. of Spanish & Portuguese, 105 George St., Carpender House, Douglass Campus. Click here for more information.
- PLACEMENT EXAM will be held on Friday, December 4 from 3-4:30 p.m. at the CAC Language Lab, Room. 119. No registration is required. For more information about Placement Exams, please click here.
- MULTILINGUAL CONVERSATION CAFE- Come and practice language in an informal and fun setting! Wednesday, November 18 from 8-9:30 pm at the DSC, Douglas Lounge.
- PLACEMENT EXAM will be held on Friday, November 13 from 3-4:30 p.m. at the CAC Language Lab, Room. 119. No registration is required. For more information about Placement Exams, please click here.
- Dia de Los Muertos- A holiday dedicated to the dead seems more like a tradition to celebrate life. Although recognized throughout Latin America, this holiday is mostly recognized in the country of Mexico. To learn more about the Day of the Dead, please click here.
- Portuguese Classes use Video Portals to Connect Across Campuses. Read more.
- Happy Hispanic Heritage Month September 15-October 15
- Congratulations to Anne Lingwall and Elizabeth Moe for winning the Adolfo Snaidas Essay Prize! ¡Felicidades!
- Thinking about Studying Abroad? Attend the Gilman Scholarship Writing Workshops! Click here for dates and more information.
- Spanish and Portuguese Honor Society Applications are now being accepted. Please click here for more information.
- +Welcome back Students! First day of classes is Tuesday, September 1.
- Summer Study Abroad Fair will be held on Monday, September 21 from 5:00-6:50 pm at the College Ave Student Center.
- Fall 2015 Advising Days begin Monday, August 31 from 1-3:00 pm at Carpender Hall. Click here to view Undergraduate Advising Days schedule.
- Congratulations to Bonnie Butler, Karen Sanchez, Ana Paula Serra and Celines Villalba on their promotions to Assistant Professor of Teaching. ¡Felicitaciones!
- Welcome Back Students of the Summer in Peru 2015 program!
- Studying Abroad is a once-in-a-lifetime experience! You will not know how much you'll love it or how much you'll miss it until you come back home. Best of luck students participating in the Summer in Spain and Summer in Peru 2015 Programs!!
- Congratulations to Prof. Celines Villalba for receiving the Distinguished SAS Teaching award!
- Congratulations Class of 2015! All the best to our Spanish and Portuguese graduates.
- The 10 International Symposium on Bilingualism is finally here! For more information about the symposium, click here.
- Join The Conversation Tree! Do you want to get involved in the local community? Are you interested in languages and intercultural exchange? Join The Conversation Tree and serve as a Conversation Facilitator in the Fall 2015 semester.
- Catch up or Jumpstart your academic goals by registering for Summer Session 2015! For more information about courses being offered by the Department of Spanish and Portuguese, click here.
- Service Learning & Spanish Language Immersion in Cuzco, Peru. Apply now! Deadline is April 29. Click here for more information.
- Congratulations to Alexis White who received the Work Study of the Year award
- Congratulations to Anne Lingwall for a successful defense of her Qualifying Paper entitled, "Spanish Second Language (L2) Acquisition in Children: Insight from the copulas ser and estar"
- Congratulations to Mac Wilson who defended his dissertation entitled "'El paisaje es una relación': Interrelational Ecopoetics of the Southern Cone". ¡Felicidades!
- Rutgers Open House, Saturday, April 11 from 10-2:00 pm at the College Ave Student Center, 2 Flr.
- Summer Study Abroad- Applications now being accepted for Spain & Peru. Click here for more information- CLOSED
- Major/Minor Fair on Wednesday, March 25 from 1-4:00pm at the College Ave. Student Center. Come and learn about becoming a Spanish/Portuguese Major or Minor!!
- Virtual Study Abroad in Spain Information Session on Tuesday, March 10 at 1:00 p.m. at the College Ave Language Lab, Room 104
- Congratulations to Silvia Perez-Cortes for successfully defending her dissertation proposal.
- Congratulations to Juan Pablo Cominguez for earning the Language Learning Dissertation Grant award
- National Spanish and Portuguese Honor Societies, now accepting applications for the Spring 2015 semester. Click here for more information.
- Congratulations to Silvia Perez-Cortes and Monica Rios. Silvia was awarded a Mellon summer grant and Monica was awarded a Mellon dissertation fellowship. Congratulations to both on such prestigious awards!
- Join The Conversation Tree for a Multilingual Conversation Café, on Tuesday, February 3 from 7:00 - 8:30pm in the Graduate School of Education (GSE) Lounge. Click here for more information.
- All classes after 4 p.m. today, Monday, January 26 have been cancelled.
- Dr. Otero-Torres' advising hours for Monday, January 26 and Tuesday, January 27 have been cancelled due to the inclement weather.
- Summer Study Abroad Fair, Wednesday, January 28 from 6pm-8pm at Student Activities Center (SAC), College Ave. For more information, please click here
- Summer in Peru 2015 Information Session will be held on Friday, December 12 at 12:30 p.m. at DSC, Meeting room A.
- *Registration for Spring 2015 Portuguese courses: Experience a real-time communications portal between the Rutgers-Newark and the Rutgers-New Brunswick campuses. Virtual classroom for courses 812:208 & 812:315. Click here for more info.
- Conversation Tree - Interested in cultural exchange? Earn 3 credits and serve as an English Conversation Facilitator in New Brunswick. For more information, please click here .
- Rutgers Diversity Program Showcase on Monday, November 3, 2014 at 6:00PM, Busch Campus Center, MPR. For more information click here.
- Come to the Graduate and Professional School Expo on Saturday, October 25 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Rutgers Student Center, College Avenue Campus.
- Special Event: Come and join us for an inspiring talk by Cuban filmmaker, Gloria Rolando, as she presents clips from her award-winning work and discusses the situation of filmmaking in Cuba. Click here for more information.
- Multilingual Conversation Café
- Winners of the Study Abroad Photo Contest: Congratulations to first place winners Yelitssa Checo (Spain) and to German Cisneros (Perú).
- Congratulations to Silvia Pérez-Cortés for winning the 2014 Adolfo Snaidas Essay Prize on "Proficiency and Age Effects in the Interpretation and Production of subject plural NP/DP's by Heritage Speakers of Spanish"
- Congratulations to Dario Sánchez-González for successfully defending his Ph.D. dissertation. He currently holds a tenure track position at Gustavus Adolphus College.
- Third Annual Bilingualism and SLA Speaker Series Event: Choosing, Maintaining, and Updating Referential Expressions in Adult Late Bilinguals with Antonella Sorace of University of Edinburgh. Click here for more information.September 29, 11:30 a.m.-12:50 p.m. Room 124 GSE (CAC)
- Congratulations to Angelica Montoya for a successful Ph.D. defense on "Lexical insertion in second language learners and Spanish heritage speakers: The role of vocabulary threshold."
- Photo Contest: Summer Study Abroad 2014 Students who participated in the Summer Study abroad in Spain and Perú have the opportunity to share their most favorite photo from their experience abroad and win a gift card to Rutgers B&N, Rutgers Cinema and more. Click here for more information
- Crystal Marull's article "Syntactic position constrains cross-linguistic activation" has been accepted for publication in Linguistic Approaches to Bilingualism.
- Prof. Nuria Sagarra has obtained a research grant from the Government of Catalonia, Spain. (2014 SGR 208). Grant was awarded to research group “Plurilingualism and Education”. Collaborator: Angel Huguet (PI), Universitat de Lleida, Spain. Congratulations!
- Angelica Montoya has been awarded a position at Penn State University. Congratulations!
- Students participating in Summer Study Abroad 2014 have departed for Peru on July 11.
- Students participating in Summer Study Abroad 2014 have departed for Spain on June 30.
- Spanish and Portuguese is awarded an NSF grant for a workshop on bilingual morphology that will take place as part of the International Symposium on Bilingualism (ISB 10), May 20-24, 2015
- Mac Wilson has accepted a tenure-track position in the department of Spanish and Portuguese at Brigham Young University. Congratulations!
- Joseph Agbnenyegah, Aaron Lacayo and Crystal Marull received a pre-dissertation award from the Graduate School for research in Ghana, Nicaragua and Argentina respectively. Congratulations
- Mónica Ríos has won a fellowship for the Institute for Research on Women (2013-2014)
- Summer Study Abroad programs in Perú y Spain (2014)
- Juan Pablo Cominguez, Alena Kirova and Silvia Pérez-Cortés will be presenting at the Linguistic
Symposium on Romance Languages.
- Marcy Schwartz has been awarded the prestigious ACLS and NEH felllowships (2014-2015)
Two Spanish graduates get Fulbright Grants (2013-2014):
- Dimetri Duckrey (PoliSci and Spanish), Brazil
- Shane McFadden (Spanish and GSE), Brazil