01:940:334 Literature & Culture of Spanish America
Pre-requisite: Spanish 215 or departmental permission
- to become familiar with key works and authors of modern Latin American literature;
- to learn about key socio-cultural movements and historical events in contemporary Latin America;
- to become skilled at performing close readings of literary texts in support of larger claims as to the function
and significance of literature;
- to be able to situate individual works of Latin American literature within larger literary traditions and specific
historical, political and cultural contexts.
For further information about learning goals, please visit http://span-port.rutgers.edu/learning-goals
- Garganigo, John F., et al. Huellas de las literaturas hispanoamericanas, 2nd ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2002.
- García Márquez, Gabriel, Crónica de una muerte anunciada. New York: Vintage Español, 2003.
Method of Evaluation*:
Close reading: 10%
Final paper: 30%
Final exam: 15%
*Grade breakdown is subject to change