Academic Achievements 2016
- Congratulations to Christina Winger Gauss! She received the AATSP Teacher of the Year award for the secondary 9-12 convention.
Academic Achievements 2015
On behalf of the Department of Spanish and Portuguese, we want to congratulate the following students on their academic achievements:
- Congratulations to Silvia Perez-Cortes who was awarded a Mellon summer grant
- Congratulations to Monica Rios who was awarded a Mellon dissertation fellowship
Academic Achievements 2014
- Juan Villegas (Lit/Cult), Henry Rugeles (Translation/Interpreting) and Rosanna Rodriguez (Translation/Interpreting) for passing their MA exams.
NEH Fellowship: Marcy Schwartz
Congratulations to Professor Marcy Schwartz, who has been awarded the 2014-2015 NEH Fellowship for her work “Reading Programs, Cultural Engagement and Civic Participation in Latin America: A Comparative Approach”.
On behalf of the Dept. of Spanish and Portuguese we would like to congratulate the following students for winning the 2013-2014 Fulbright Grants:
- Dimetri Duckrey, Political Science and Spanish, Rutgers, School of Arts and Sciences, ETA, Brazil
- Shane McFadden, Language Education, Graduate School of Education, ETA, Brazil
Premio "B" Bicentario de Novela: Gustavo Arango
The Department of Spanish and Portuguese is delighted to learn that Gustavo Arango, associate professor at SUNY Oneonta, and alumnus of our department, has won the prestigious literary prize, the Premio "B" Bicentario de Novela. Chosen from over fifty entrants, Professor Arango's El Origen del Mundo [The Origin of the World] was praised by the jury for both its sensitive portrayal of women and the originality of its prose. The book will be launched at the International Book Fair in Guadalajara in November. Its protagonist is a literature professor teaching a summer workshop on creative writing at an American university. Professor Arango completed his doctorate on "Stories of Solitude: The Absurd and Creation in Hispano-American Narrative" in 2004, under the direction of Rutgers Spanish and Portuguese Professor, Carlos Raúl Narváez. Among the many courses Professor Arango taught for our department was a summer workshop on creative writing!
NEH Fellowship 2013
Congratulations to Prof. Susan Martin-Marquez, who has been awarded the 2013-2014 NEH Fellowship for her work “Radical Filmmakers at the Transatlantic Crossroads: New Cinemas and Networks of Exchange in the Long 1960s”.
Academic Achievements 2013
On behalf of the Department of Spanish and Portuguese, we want to congratulate the following graduate students on their academic achievements:
- Valeria Garrote who successfully defended her dissertation on "la estrateg¡a de la alegria en los colectivos art¡sticos de la dictadura y post-dictadura de España y Argentina (1973-1988).
- Carlos Marquez for passing his MA exam in Translation.
- Monica Rios for passing the first and second parts of her PhD Exam.
- Crystal Marull for winning the "The Executive Women of New Jersey's 2013 Graduate Merit Award"(EWNJ) and the 2013 Adolfo Snaidas Essay Prize.
- Claudia Arteaga on the Conference on Latin America Studies Association in Washington, D.C.
- Juan Pablo Cominguez on the International Workshop: The Syntactic Variation of Spanish and Catalan Spanish, Universidad Autonoma de Barcelona.
- Anne Lingwall and Silvia-Perez Cortez on the "Workshop on the Acquistition of Quantification", organized by the Dept. of Linguistics at UMass, Amherst.
- Monica Rios, Latin American Studies Association, Washington, DC.