Admissions Information for Non-Rutgers/Non-Matriculated Students (Certificate of Translation and Interpreting)

The Spanish Translation Certificate Program is offered to members of the community who meet the entrance requirements to the certificate program and are granted admission to Rutgers University.

It is recommended to apply to the Certificate of Translation and Interpreting first through the department. Applicants seeking to apply to the Certificate of Translation and Interpreting program must submit the following documents:

  • Cover Letter
  • College transcripts and/or proof of employment as a translator/interpreter
  • Two essays (400-500 words, double spaced)
    Essays are to be written in English and Spanish indicating your background in both languages, why you want to take the courses and your future goals.

Application materials should be emailed to Miguel Jimenez at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and Laura Ramírez at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Upon acceptance to the program, applicants should then apply as a non-matriculated student at Rutgers. Students have two options: applying as a non-matriculated student at the School of Continuing Studies or at the School of Arts and Sciences. Earning credits through Continuing Studies is designed for students to earn substantial credits, however it may not be enough to finish the certificate (19-21 credits) in one year, because they can only enroll for a maximum of 6 credits per semester (12 credits overall). Some students choose this option as an initiative to begin the program, while others will apply directly to the School of Arts and Sciences to complete the certificate.

For more information regarding admission as a non-matriculated student at Rutgers to any of the schools mentioned, please click on the links below:

Important Notes:

  • Coursework taken as a non-degree student carries no degree credit.
  • In-coming non-matriculated students may have to take a placement exam prior to registering for courses.