Q: I took Spanish in high school and I want to take a course in Spanish, how do I register?

A: If you took more than 2 years of high school Spanish, you must take a placement exam. If your transcript shows that you took less than 2 years in Spanish you may take Elementary Spanish: 101. If you have any questions, contact the Undergraduate Director.

Q: Do I need to take the placement exam if I am a transfer student?

A: If you took Spanish in your previous institution, you need an equivalency form to determine what are the next courses you need to take. Submit a syllabus for evaluation in order to determine course equivalencies and what are the next courses to be taken.

Q: What if I receive AP credits for Spanish?

A: You should register in the next level (level depends on your AP placement) and contact the undergraduate director for further discussion.

Q: What if I feel my level of proficiency is higher or lower than my placement?

A: You must contact our language coordinator. Please include your RUID so that they can assess your situation by checking your placement exam. Please Note: Placement exams are rarely ever changed.

Q: Can I re-take the placement exam?

A: No, you cannot re-take the placement exam. Any discrepancies must be discussed with the language coordinator or undergraduate director.

Q: When and where can I receive my placement exam results?

A: Placement exam results will be posted on your Degree Navigator profile after clicking “Course lists” under “Placement” at the bottom of the page within 48-72 hours after the exam has been taken. If your placement is not visible within a week of taking the exam, please contact the undergraduate director with your RUID. 

Q: Can I take 131 and 132 during the same semester?

A: No, you must take the courses sequentially. Both courses are offered in both fall and spring semesters.

Q: Can I take 203 and 204 during the same semester?

A: Spanish 203 and 204 is the course for non-heritage speakers. These courses may be taken during the same semester with an override from the undergraduate director.

Q: I’m a heritage speaker, can I take 203 and 204?

A: If you are a heritage speaker you should be registered in 201 and 202. These courses are designed specifically for heritage speakers regardless if they have studied Spanish formally or not. This course is designed to highlight the linguistics challenges/skills that heritage students possess with the Spanish language.

Q:  How do I know if I am a heritage speaker?

A: You must contact our language coordinator for an evaluation. 

Q: What is a minor in Spanish?

A: A minor in Spanish consists of 18 credits. 9 credits must be at the 300 or 400 level.  Spanish Minor Worksheet.

Q: Do I need to take 215 or 261 if I want to complete my minor?

A: Spanish 215 and 261 are NOT required for the minor in Spanish. However, these courses are pre-requisites for courses at the 300 level in literature (215) and linguistics (261). If you want to take courses at the 300 level in literature and linguistics you do need to take these courses.

Q: How then can I complete the minor without taking 215/261?

A: It depends on what level you have phased into. The lowest course that can count towards the minor is 132/139 for heritage speakers (hs). After you can take 203and204/201and202 (hs). These three courses will count as the lower level of the minor. You will then need to take 325 (pre-req for courses at the 300-level that are not in literature and linguistics). After completing 325, you can take courses 313, 326 and 360.

Q: What if I place into 215, 261 and 325? Can I still complete my minor?

A: Yes, Since these are the pre-reqs for most courses in the department you will have completed the pre-reqs for courses in the 300-literature level and 300-linguistics level.

Q: What if I do not want to take 215?

A: You are not required to take 215, but it also means you cannot take courses at the 300-level in literature.

Q: Do I need to take 261 to complete my minor?

A: You are not required to take 261, but if you do not take 261, you cannot take any courses at the 300- linguistics level.

Q: Can I complete my minor or major abroad?

A: Yes, but you must meet with the UD before travelling abroad to confirm that you take the courses required for the minor. UD will review your profile on Degree Navigator (DN) and will give you a written statement of the courses needed to take abroad and courses need for the following semester. Note: there is a residency component in which at least 1 300 level course must be completed on campus for all minors. All majors must complete the 2 400 requirements on campus.

Q: Do I need the OPIc to graduate?

A: If you are a major in Spanish, you must complete the OPIc in order to graduate. You must take the two language labs (389/499) in preparation for the OPIc. Students registered in Spanish 499 will complete the OPI exam as part of the course. Instructions will be given during the first day of classes.

Q: Do I need to take the language labs to complete my major?

A: All majors in Spanish must complete 389/499 (388-heritage speakers). Both courses must be taken in sequence. Students can take courses back to back in one semester or in two different semesters. But they must be taken sequentially.

Q: How many credits do I need for the major?

A: The major consists of 38 credits:

  • 12 three-credit courses (At 200, 300 and 400 levels)
  • 2 one-credit lab courses
  • The Oral Proficiency Interview
  • (Please note: 201/202 or 203/204 are the lowest courses that count for the major)

Q: What if I place into 215, do I need to take 203/204?

A: No, you should never take a course below placement. You will begin your major with 215, 261 and 325. No major is exempt from these courses.

Q: How many courses can I take in English to count for my major?

A: You are allowed to take one course taught in English in order for it to count for the major, however a significant amount of work must be completed in Spanish. You must meet with the undergraduate director to confirm this course prior to registration.

Q: Can I take a 300-level course in literature and linguistics without having taken 215 or 261?

A: No. Students are not allowed to take courses without taking the prerequisite.

Q: Can I take a 300-level course and pre-reg during the same semester?

A: No. You must take the pre-requisite prior to the course.

Q: What do I need to study abroad in Valencia?

A: You need to stop by the UD office to discuss your requirements. It is strongly recommended that all majors complete 215 and 261 before travelling abroad to Valencia.

Q: What do I need to do to apply for the Valencia, Salamanca and Peru?

A: You must see the UD to discuss the completion of requirements.

Q: I just got back from studying abroad, what are my next steps?

A: Once the grades are posted on DN, you must stop by the office of UD to make sure that requirements/grades are credited to your Spanish major/minor.

Q: What is the best mode of communicating with the Undergraduate Director?

A: Email at: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.